Soup’s On! Educational Kit is a dynamic tool that aims to introduce the concept of responsible eating. Through the activities it presents, the kit invites students to look beyond their plate, to explore issues surrounding our current food system and to think about the impacts of their fod choices on their health, their environment and the world around them. By focusing on the development of social and environmental competencies and critical thinking skills and by proposing concrete actions, the kit helps students become agents of change for a more healthy, ecological and just world, for now and for generations to come.
EDUCATIONAL KIT CONTENT
This kit proposes 10 complete and hands-on activities that explore responsible eating.
The kit offers:
- Three activities per cycle focusing on our food choices and their related impacts on our health, our environment and the vitality of local farms;
- Engaging and ready-to-print appendices for students;
- A list of complementary ressources to discover;
- Concrete actions (in French only) to become more enlightened and responsible consumers;
- Many multimedia references.
- 1. Inspector veggie!: Discovery of less common local varieties of vegetables with the five senses.
- 2. Where Have All the Vitamins Gone?: Short play comparing local and imported vegetables.
- 3. How does it grow?: Farm tour including a treasure hunt in the fields.
- 4. Farmers Markets!: Class roleplay simulating a public market.
- 5. A journey back in time: Directed interview with an elder and exploration of food habits around the world.
- 6. Snacks on the Rainbown: Culinary investigation and searching for a healthy snack.
- 7. The 3N’s-F: Quiz and analysis of common food products.
- 8. Up Close and Personal with a Farmer: Interview with a farmer.
- 9. Quebec on the menue (in French only): Geographical study of the different agricultural regions of Quebec.
- 10. Eating according to Seasons: Creation of a seasonal calendar and a local recipes handbook.